In 2016, we can access the news from a variety of devices and through social media. Can you cast your mind back over 50 years to the times before reality TV and celebrity scandals and try to remember the headlines that really got you and the neighbours talking?
I grew up before the Internet became an everyday essential part of our day to day lifestyle. I look at my teenage children who are so computer savvy and wonder if they could imagine a life without social media and the Internet. Where you could access the news from either a newspaper, the radio or eventually the television and yes, we really did only have 4 channels!
At this time of year, I think fondly of people we have loved and lost and how different their lives would have been 50 years ago and what major events were taking place all over the world that helped shape the way we live today.
What’s happened over the last 50 Years
- In the last 50 years, we have had the first man walk on the moon, the sad loss of Marilyn Monroe, Lady Diana and Elvis Presley to name just a few.
- The Internet has boomed and social media has been introduced in our lives. Mobile phones have become the norm and our televisions have endless amounts of channels and possibilities.
- In 1990, After 27 years in prison, the 71-year-old Nelson Mandela joins his wife Winnie at the start of his walk to freedom.
- In 1963, A gang of 15 men steal £2.6 million from a travelling post office train, in what is to become known as The Great Train Robbery.
- Also in 1963, John F. Kennedy was assassinated whilst riding with his wife Jacqueline in a Presidential motorcade.
- In 1969, Twins Ronald and Reginald Kray are given life sentences for murder.
- In 1977, The first Star Wars film is released.
Why not challenge your memory with this fun quiz from SunLife Insurance and perhaps remember the impact some of these events had on your life.
*In collaboration with SunLife Insurance*