Each year your children are looked after by teachers and their assistants throughout the entire school term. When you think about it, your children probably spend more time with the teachers through the week than they do with yourself. Getting the perfect Thank you gifts for Teachers is certainly something you want to get right not too much but no too little either. Here you will find 10 of the best Thank you gifts for Teachers and not all of them will cost you money.
Finding the perfect Thank you Gifts for Teachers
It is that time of year again when our children say goodbye yet again to another class Teacher. When I was younger I remember children used to take into school, a bunch of flowers and a homemade card, a simple yet meaningful gift which always made great Thank you Gifts for Teachers in my school.
What has changed?
As a former Teaching Assistant I feel I must disclose the secrets of what to buy or not in some cases for teachers as a leaving gift. Believe me children generally like to buy for their favourite teachers and this year my son has a list as long as my arm.
You have to consider the amount of classes they go to throughout their school day but to be honest I think most would not cater for all of the teachers. My son wants to buy for his Class teacher, Another Teacher who stands in for the class to teach 2 mornings a week, Female Teaching assistant, Male Teaching assistant, Maths teacher, Chess teacher and finally his Gardening club teacher
I looked at the list in absolute horror, of course I want my son to grow up to be a generous young man and enjoy the gift of giving, but not totally at the expense of my bank balance.
10 Cost Effective Thank you Gifts for Teachers
Take a look at these simple ideas for keeping the cost down and the smiles high whilst giving great thank you gifts for teachers at your children’s school.
1. This year for the Gardening teacher, I am going to give them some seeds placed neatly inside of cute decorated pots. This way I don’t have to spend more than a few pounds and I am sure the teacher will be happy with this gift.
2. One year we baked gingerbread men and turned them well into gingerbread women and decorated them to look like the teachers and assistants. We wrapped each individually in cellophane with handmade gift tags, those went down well with the teachers as gifts.
3. For my son’s first teacher that he had for 3 years he bought two forget-me-not plants, one for his teacher and the other to plant at home so they would always remember each other. A really cheap gift with so much thought put into it, even after a few years the teacher told my son her plant had grown really well in her garden – proof that thoughtful gifts are well-remembered.
4. A gift bag labelled Teachers’ Revival Kit – and inside put a glossy magazine, a chocolate bar, some smellies and a mini bottle of wine.
5. A beach towel, a magazine, bag of sweets and a cocktail in a can…all tied up with a ribbon and a tag wishing her happy holidays
6. A jar of sweets from the 60s/70s/80s depending on the age of the teacher – think flying saucers, melody pops, strawberry bon-bons and gob stoppers, use an old jar and have your child help design a label for the front and add a bow or a tag.
7. A plant rather than flowers makes a great gift and they last longer.
8. Teaching is a stressful job. A gift certificate for a massage, facial, or pedicure will help your teacher ease into a restful summer
9. Wine always goes down really well, especially when they don’t have to get up for work for 6 weeks!
10. A sincere, handwritten letter is a gift that’s valuable beyond measure.
Thank you gifts for Teachers that don’t go down so well!
1. I know it’s the thought that counts, but any cakes, biscuits or other foodstuffs made by pupils go straight in the bin. Having seen how much nose-picking and nail-biting goes on in the classroom to be honest I can’t blame the teachers. I know that I always accepted my treats from the children even those that did pick their nose, then again I do have boys of my own at home.
2. Worlds best teacher/ teaching assistant mugs, the teachers just have too many to the point that they really can’t keep them all. I would say that teachers hold on to things that spark personal memories of individual students. So, that mug or cute teacher themed desk ornament won’t hold the memory of your child and probably will end up being given away. I can honestly some of the best gifts are the little things the kids make themselves, and often I have a tear in my eye when I receive them because of the thought and time taken by the student.
3. Never, never give Chocolates that are well past their sell by date! Believe me this does happen and although it is suggested that food products can be eaten past the sell by date, as a gift you really do want to be buying in date products for your thank you gifts for teachers.
I know in different parts of the country different sorts of gifts are more acceptable. Personally I know some parents that have put £50 cash in cards and some that have purchased designer jewellery. I know this may be acceptable for some, but I personally would feel awful receiving something that has cost a parent so much. Stick to the simple things and find your teacher the perfect gift at an affordable price.
If I know one thing when you choose Thank you Gifts for Teachers, whatever you buy or make whether it cost £1 or £100 your child will still get the same level of care whilst they are being taught in school.
This year I have used getting personal to purchase some of my gifts from. You will love the unique and fun things that I have found and listed below to help you come up with some great ideas for thank you gifts for teachers at your child’s school.
Thank you gifts suitable for male and female teachers…
1. A personalised Bonkers Chocolate Bar..
2. Personalised Periodic Chart Mug..
3. Personalised mug adding your own touch of sweets and gift wrapped in cellophane..
4. Personalised Thank you gifts for teachers are the best. Here is a brainstorm planner with a little note of love from the sender.
5. Turn your teacher into a superhero Mr Hoyle in this example is on our superhero list.
All together as you see these gifts are amazingly quirky and should bring a smile to any teachers face i promise.
If you have any ideas of your own for lovely thank you gifts for teachers, I would love to hear your ideas and see your comments below.