If there is one thing that we don’t get enough of, it’s going on holiday. Between the abysmal amount of annual leave that you get with your job and the fact that by the time you go on holiday you’re so exhausted it takes most of the time away to relax, holidays are vital! These are always called a luxury item, but truly, holidays are a must and every single person deserves to experience them. After all, we’re here to live, not to work ourselves to death (though it may seem that way sometimes).
Holidays are so important that often, most of us get itchy feet at the lack of exploration and decide to go further than a holiday, applying for ETA information to go further than the edges of our own country! There are so many reasons you should be putting holidays on the top of your priority list, and some of those reasons are listed for you below. If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that life is far too short to say no to opportunities when they come along. Once you have read the reasons, we think you’ll be ready to book your next break!
10 Reasons Why Holidays Matter
- You can relieve your stress. Yes, a holiday is a break away from life. It doesn’t often feel that way when you holiday with little children, though, as you’re doing all of the same things but in another place! However, the whole idea here is that you get a chance to unwind and sit back for a minute. There’s no work to go to, no customers to bother you and no boss to tell you to do something. Regular holidays help us to get a break from the high levels of stress we suffer from regularly!
- They are great for your health. While we’re talking about stress levels, the higher your stress, the worse your risk is for things like heart disease. When you go on regular holidays, you lower your risk of heart disease as a result because you’ve taken down those high blood pressure levels of yours!
- Holidays give you a chance to maintain your focus. Have you ever felt like your brain is rebelling against, well, yourself?! You want to do things but the stress you’re feeling from life prevents you from even trying it, so you don’t! Holidays allow you to focus and unblocks you from feeling rebellious against the things that you want in your life. You don’t have to worry about trying to concentrate anymore, because your holidays are going to keep you on the straight and narrow.
- Your health will improve with regular holidays. There is plenty of research to suggest holidays are good for your health. You will improve your immune system and you can reduce your risks of developing chronic illnesses.
- Holiday sex, anyone? No, really. Work and life can be so stressful and it impacts your libido and the time you take out to be a couple and go and travel brings you closer together again. You really need to work on your relationships and a break away from the norm in a romantic setting can really do that for you!
- You’ll be so much happier. It really doesn’t matter where you go on your holiday, you’re going to feel happier. It’s not just the location and in-the-moment happiness, either. It’s the lead-up and buildup and countdown. It’s the shopping and the hair appointments. It’s getting your nails painted and ticking off the days. All of this buildup makes you feel like a child at Christmas! Regularly booking a holiday keeps you happier, and if you deal with issues with SAD, you should consider a sunshine holiday in the winter every year so that you don’t sink into depression as a result.
- You’ll build better relationships. Whether you are traveling with friends or you bring your family along for a ride, being away from home can give you all a chance to reconnect. This easily leads to you forging close bonds with your whole family, and that can be suitably empowering. You can create more memories on a holiday together more than with any other activity that you do together. You can ensure that you spend proper time together without the interruption of school or work.
- You’re far more productive when you get home. That time away from your regular day can really help to improve your productivity levels at work. You’ll decrease your number of sick days and you’ll increase your work quality at the same time. You’ll feel more creative, and the breakaway can boost your job satisfaction. You can gain a new appreciation for your day-to-day life, and that gives you the new start you need to put a new effort in.
- You will sleep so much better. When you’re away and breathing in different air, you naturally start to feel better, but being on holiday for some time helps you to come home and sleep much better. You’ll get better quality sleep, too, which can help you to focus day to day.
- You’ll improve your fitness. Going on holiday, not everyone lays around in the sun getting a tan – you can do so much more than that! Your holidays will help you to eat better. You can go hiking, swimming, join a gym and go to classes. You may make better choices about your health when you have time in the sunshine, and that makes a massive difference to your health when you get home, too.
Holidays are so much more than all of these ten things – there are hundreds of benefits and we could go on. The thing is, making yourself the priority and taking the time off work is the first step to take. If you don’t take that step, you’re going to miss out and you could be putting your stress levels through the roof by skipping out on it. Stay happy with a holiday to look forward to!